Let me share with you a fantastic breakfast or healthy treat. I’ve been making these twice a week so far and my family loves them too, due to the fact that they are healthy and great when you are looking for a quick bite.
Another good thing about these is that they are dairy free, gluten free (use GF oats), sugar free, nut free, vegan and contains no processed ingredients, but all natural ingredients. Plus, they are sooooo simple and quick to make and you can enjoy these guilt free.
These cookies taste like sweet potato bread and oatmeal. It doesn’t end there… you can add on some of your favourite extras as toppings or stir them in.
They are great as a quick breakfast, snack, dessert, a fuel up before or after a workout, take them for treks, day trips, you name it. Again, not to mention they are healthy! Forget those expensive, sugar loaded breakfast bars that you buy from supermarkets, make your own fresh and healthy ones.
So let’s get straight to the recipe eh?!
We hope you enjoy the cookies, and do share with us what you like to add into them!
Makes 18-20 mini cookies
3 small-medium sized sweet potatoes
1 cup rolled oats (quick or old-fashioned, GF if needed) – add more if needed
Optional Flavour Boosters:
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of ground spices (e.g. cinnamon, ginger)
Optional Stir-Ins or Toppings:
Chocolate chips, butterscotch, chopped nuts and seeds (walnuts, almond, pecans, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds), chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, goji berries, cranberries, apricots), flaxseed, unsweetened desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f
2. Line a baking sheet or lightly grease a baking tray
3. Peel the sweet potatoes, and steam or boil until soft – if boil, drain also
4. In a bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with a fork until smooth and let it cool for around 15-20 minutes
5. Add the oats and stir until well blended, see above picture for consistency as size of potatoes may vary
6. If using any additional stir-in ingredients, mix it in – here, I used 1 tsp of vanilla essence and ¼ tsp of cinnamon and 1 tbsp of flaxseeds, these are optional
7. Scoop a heaped tablespoon of the mixture, roll into a circular shape, place into the baking sheet and slightly flatten
8. If using any additional topping ingredients, add them on
9. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 10 minutes (20 minutes in total)
10. Transfer to cooling rack and cool before eating
Notes: These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days