Hungry? Over the weekend i picked up some butter beans. It was only recently that i knew how healthy these beans were. They are a healthy source of fiber, low calories, healthy carbs, very low fat source of protein, and contains key vitamins and minerals. You can read more about its nutrition facts and health benefits here.
Today, i’m sharing with you a baked chicken with vegetables and butter beans dish, you can serve it with rice, bread or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
1 large onion, sliced or diced your preference
1 red pepper, sliced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
8-10 pieces of chicken
Half of a aubergine, cubed
Half of a broccoli
6 mushrooms, quartered
2 handfuls of baby spinach
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of paprika
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
125ml of sherry
700ml of chicken stock
2-3 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon of parsley
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tin of butter beans, drained and rinsed
Handful of fresh coriander
1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. Lightly grease the pan and heat it up until hot. Add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid on medium to high heat.
Fry the chicken until golden brown and about half way cooked, keep an eye on them and flip them to prevent burning. The chicken will be juicy so it’s not necessary to add much oil in the beginning. Once done, remove the chicken from the pan and keep aside. Do not throw out the juice in the pan.
3. In the meantime while the chicken is cooking, heat a little bit of oil in a large pan and sauté the onions, celery and carrots, add a pinch of salt and throw in the garlic and cook for about 5 minutes under medium heat. Stir for another few minutes then deglaze the pan with sherry and allow to bubble for a minute or two.
5. At this point, you can add the canned tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaves, tomato puree, half of the juice from the chicken pan, sugar and season with salt and pepper, simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes – add more puree and salt and pepper if needed.
6. In a small bowl, mix the flour with a little water until there are no lumps to form a thin paste. Slowly add in the flour mixture bit by bit and stir until slightly thickened. Now, add the butter beans.
7. Add the chicken pieces and coriander. Simmer under low to medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes then add the aubergine, broccoli and mushrooms (you can add vegetables of your choice and can add more if you like!) and cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Bake for 40-45mins, in the last 10 minutes, mix in the baby spinach and pop it back in the oven.
9. Scatter with parsley on top and serve with rice, bread or mashed potatoes.