When it comes to skincare, some of us may not put much emphasis on the lips. Well, as long as they feel moisturized. When I’m talking emphasis I mean anti-aging, sun screen… For me, I have this habit of always whipping out my lip balm out and moisturizing my lips but i never really gave much thought about sun screen on them until the past year. I just feel uncomfortable with the feeling of dry lips.. it bugs me! But, do you ever think about the lines on your lips?
What are the causes of lip lines?
- Aging process – loss in lip volume, as we age we lose elastin and collagen
- Thinning of the skin – as we age, skin becomes more creased with use
- Build up of sun exposure and wind
- Poor quality cosmetics and products containing harsh chemicals
- Not being gentle on your lips
- Repetitive chewing motions like chewing gum
- Drinking with straws and pursing your lips when drinking from bottles – may be everyone should rethink about that duck face pout pose when doing selfies too!!
- Poor diet causing premature aging of the skin
How to prevent lines / wrinkles on lips
- Wear sunscreen on your lips – a good quality lip balm with SP15 or higher. Often people just moisturize and don’t consider sun protection which is damaging to the skin
- Keep lips well hydrated and supple to prevent wrinkles
- Try to avoid sun and wind exposure
- Cover lips with a scarf when out during winter
- Avoid smoking and try to avoid the alcohol or at least cut it down
- Avoid poor quality cosmetics or skincare products that may contain harsh chemicals
- Avoid excessive gum chewing
- Try avoid puckering your lips too much
- Eat healthier!
How to get soft, plump and hydrated lips:
- Vitamin E oil is a free radical fighting antioxidant that can help hydrate and smooth out deep wrinkles. Apply few drops to your fingers and gently dab it on your lips.
- Almond oil – also good for smoothing out lines around lips
- Papaya and honey lip mask – mash up some papaya with honey and make a soft paste. Use as a lip mask and apply on your lips, leave on for a few minutes and rinse with water
- Cinnamon and natural oils – mix cinnamon with natural oils like vitamin E oil, almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil and apply on lips everyday. Cinnamon is excellent for circulation and can give you fuller, plumped up lip
- Exfoliate skin around lips regularly using a toothbrush
- Sugar lip scrub – mix with some honey or olive oil, and apply using gently circular motion and leave on for 1 minute and rinse
- Keep your body hydrated to prevent lips from drying
- Be gentle to your lips
- Get adequate sleep everyday